This page will provide the latest official news from Ipecac Recordings. Please be sure to read through these articles before contacting Ipecac Recordings with a question that may be answered here.
Alain Johannes In-store
Alain Johannes playing at Amoeba Music in Hollywood on Tues Oct. 5th @ 7pm (Spark release day!!!)
Tune in tonight for the season premiere of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", must see TV on the FX network.
Hey Los Angeles area Faith No More fans!
FNM are playing an extra special show at the intimate Hollywood Palladium on Tuesday Nov 30th. Might be the last time to see this band live in the US. Extra secret, special, presale for tickets ends tonight!!!
Passcode: second coming
Mike Patton's Mondo Cane makes a US appearance!!!
Mondo Cane have been invited to play at the prestigious Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco on Oct 3rd. This is the 10th anniversary of the FREE festival held on several stages in Speedway Meadow in beautiful Golden Gate park. The 3 day festival features an eclectic lineup including Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, Patti Smith, Earl Scruggs, Ralph Stanley, Conor Oberst, T Bone Burnett, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings and many more (http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/) and did we mention it's free!!!!!!
Mondo Cane is currently scheduled to play at 5:20 pm on Sunday October 3rd on the Star stage right after Elvis Costello. Don't miss this very special event. You are all on the guest list!!!!! Bring a picnic.
Exclusive, rare, BEAK> live dates!!!!
Don't miss the chance to catch BEAK> live this week! Tuesday Sept 7th at the Independent in San Francisco and Friday Sept 10th at the Troubadour in Los Angeles with free Amoeba Record instores in SF on the 8th and LA on the 9th!
Portishead fans don't want to miss this!!!!
Rekords Rekords to Release Three Titles This Fall: Alain Johannes, Mini Mansions and Widely Anticipated Queens of the Stone Age
LOS ANGELES, Aug. 30—Joshua Homme's Rekords Rekords, through a partnership with Ipecac Recordings, will release three albums this fall: Alain Johannes' Spark (Oct. 5), Mini Mansions self-titled debut (Nov. 2) and a reissue of Queens of The Stone Age's self-titled debut with three additional songs (Nov. 26).
An artist-driven label, Rekords Rekords' newly formed affiliation with Ipecac Recordings actually dates back to 2003 when Homme's ongoing Desert Sessions series released an installment on Ipecac, re-connecting Homme with longtime friends and Ipecac co-owners Mike Patton and Greg Werckman.
“Reports on the death of the record label have been greatly exaggerated,” said Werckman. “Record labels like Rekords Rekords and artists like Joshua Homme continue to wage an assault on mediocrity and complacency in the music industry. We, at Ipecac, are stoked to work side by side with unique talents like Alain, Mini Mansions and el jefe Homme. Keep art in the artists hands.”
Rekords Rekords releases slated for 2010:
- Alain Johannes “Spark” (Oct. 5) - Johannes, co-founder of Eleven and collaborator with Queens of The Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures, Chris Cornell, Mark Lanegan and Spinnerette, penned this heartfelt album in dedication to his late wife and Eleven partner Natasha Shneider. Spark showcases Johannes' impressive musical dexterity moving seamlessly from coveted rock guitarist to soulful songwriter. “Alain's record is the total embodiment of what the label stands for,” explains Homme. “The war against endorsing mediocrity and the uncensored attempt to take a leap off the musical cliff. Spark is a stunning examination of figuring out what you do when someone's gone, and it's utterly breathtaking.”
- Mini Mansions “Mini Mansions” (Nov. 2) - The Los Angeles based trio of Michael Shuman (Queens of The Stone Age), Zach Dawes and Tyler Parkford have spent the past eighteen months touring with a number of bands including The Dead Weather, Autolux, Them Crooked Vultures and Grizzly Bear, have released a limited edition EP and collectible 7" all while writing and recording their full-length debut. Recorded at Homme's Pink Duck Studios (and with Homme lending a hand on mixing several songs), The LA Weekly described the band's first single (“Monk”) as “a mercurial slice of vintage-sounding psych-pop.” The Seattle Weekly said of the band, “Mini Mansions is the side project of Queens of The Stone Age bassist Michael Schuman, and as far as offshoots go, it ranks up there with Jack White's The Dead Weather.”
- Queens of The Stone Age “Queens of The Stone Age” (Nov. 26) - A highly sought after, out of print album, the debut release from Queens of The Stone Age has been recreated by Homme as it was initially envisioned, with three tracks that were initially cut from the record reinstated. Queens of The Stone Age will be reissued on Black Friday as a 180 gram double-gatefold, colored vinyl release packaged with a CD version. The straight CD release arrives in-stores the following Tuesday (Nov. 30).
Comic-Con 2010 Highlight
We Need Your Help
A very dear friend of ours, Brian "BOC" O'Connor from Eagles of Death Metal was recently diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Last month he had surgery and is on the mend but will be undergoing follow up treatments and chemo for quite some time. As a musician, he of course does not have health insurance. So, his friends and fans are rallying for BOC. There are 2 ways you can help.
1) you can make a donation at: http://www.brianeodm.org/
2) buy tix for this kick ass benefit show in LA on August 12th with Queens of the Stone Age and Eagles of Death Metal.
Use this presale password "bighands"
Much love to Brian!!!!!!
Free Steroid Maximus Show Next Week in Brooklyn, NY
JG Thirlwell will be performing his Steroid Maximus project as a twenty piece band with brass section and strings at Prospect Park for the Celebrate Brooklyn Festival on June 18.
Steroid Maximus will be performing the Ectopia album and selections from the score of The Venture Bros.
JG will be joined by long-time colleague Steven Bernstein as musical director and on trumpet. Dr Lonnie Smith Trio will support.
Rain or shine, and it’s free - mark your calendars for this once-in-a lifetime show!
Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:30 PM at the Prospect Park Bandshell in Brooklyn, New York.
New Melvins Album Out Today!
Hey folks! Yes, it is an international holiday. Everything is closed except for record stores. The brand new Melvins studio release, "The Bride Screamed Murder" is out!!!!! This is like the 100th release by the Melvins or something, but people are already calling it one of their best. How DO they do it? This rocks and challenges at the same time. Three cheers for the self proclaimed, best band in the history of music.
Don't forget to check for tour dates as these road dogs never stop and will be bringing it to you live!!!! With special goodies to sell you.
The one band you can count on, other than Justin Bieber, the Melvins triumphantly return with "The Bride Screamed Murder".
Stay thirsty my friends.