This page will provide the latest official news from Ipecac Recordings. Please be sure to read through these articles before contacting Ipecac Recordings with a question that may be answered here.
Just to address some of trhe more popular responses we have received regarding the Halloween fiasco: we have in fact searched for another venue in NYC. A few problems
1) it is halloween(a popular NYC holiday)
2) it is the CMJ music convention(thousands of bands have booked all the venues
3) we need a place that can fit 2400 people with tix but is affordable to rent
It is simply not going to happen and there is no one more upset than we are. We are trying to find a way for you to reach the Roxy to voice your displeasure and let them know how much $ you have lost. Stay tuned.
We certainly understand the anger that many of you are feeling, however making death threats or racist or homophobic comments about Carl Cox or us is not going to help anything.
!@#*!!* We are VERY sorry (and angry) to announce that the Halloween show has been CANCELLED!!!!!!!
We have experienced a lot of unpleasant things in the music industry but nothing as ridiculous as this. We sincerely apologize to all the people who are screwed over by this news.
Here is what happened. It seems that the venue that was hosting our party, the Roxy, somehow booked 2 shows for the same night. Our show and DJ Carl Cox. For reasons not entirely known to us they have decided to honor Carl Cox's contract and not ours. It was proposed that we move our show earlier and let Carl Cox play later but Carl Cox was not interested in this proposition. Our promoter, Clear Channel was screwed by the Roxy as were we.
Needless to say we are miserable. Merchandise was made for this show, flights were booked, hotels booked, tours routed around this show.
We have been advised to let you know that you must go to the point of purchase for your tickets to get a full refund. If it was done over the Internet please e-mail the place you purchased them as soon as possible.
We are looking into potential legal action but of course that does not help any of us right now.
Once again. We are very sorry!!! Please don't hold this against our label. We value all of our supporters. We are all victims of this idiocy.
best, Mike & Greg
PS Tomahawk will NOT be playing on the 30th at the roxy either.
We don't make a habit of promoting other people's releases but there is an exception from time to time. On Tuesday October 8th RISE ABOVE is released. This record is 24 tracks of bands covering Black Flag classics that Henry Rollins put together to raise money for the West Memphis Three. I'm telling you, this record ROCKS! Even if you are politically inactive, this is a must have. In addition to the involvement of Mike Patton it also includes tracks by Dean Ween, Hank Williams III, Nick Oliveri (Queens of the Stone Age), Lemmy(Motorhead) and even a Rollins remake of "TV Party". Cover records don't always work, but check this one out! Hats of to Henry and Heidi for making a great record for a great cause. For more info on the West Memphis Three and their tragic case go to: www.wm3.org
STEROID MAXIMUS fans check this out!
Tickets are on sale for the only STEROID MAXIMUS live performanced in North America on October 17!!
J.G.Thirlwell will be conducting an eighteen piece band,performing his critically acclaimed new album "Ectopia"(released earlier this year thru Ipecac) including brass and string sections.
The Los Angeles version of the band includes Nels Cline,Devin Hoff,Scott Amendola, Bruce Fowler (Zappa's Mothers of Invention), DJ Bonebrake (X), Danny Frankel (Marianne Faithful, fiona apple, bebel gilberto), Pablo Calogero (David Byrne, Count Basie, David Bowie), Sal Cracchiolo (Dizzy Gillespie, Freddie Hubbard, Cal Tjader, Stanley Turentine, Tito Puente, Mongo Santamaria), John Fumo (Neil Young, Jennifer Lopez), and more, with JGT conducting.
Steroid Maximus' performance is commissioned by UCLA Performing Arts.
As part of UCLA Live's commitment to the new and innovative, several events will be staged in the underused historic theaters of downtown Los Angeles.
Steroid Maximus will appear at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood.
Visit www.uclalive.com for further details.
Just when you thought Tomahawk was done for the year! Well the folks at the CMJ music marathon convention have invited Tomahawk to headline their opening night party on Oct 30th at the Roxy in NYC. (I wonder if we can sleep there since the Ipecac party is the next night). Seems that there will be other groovy bands on the ticket like Soundtrack of our Lives and word is tickets will go on sale Thursday for $20!!!!! Sounds cool, heh? If you were not able to get your Halloween tix, this might be a nice consolation.
It's over! All 2200 tickets are sold out for the NYC Halloween extravaganza. Working on the New Years show in SF now.
1) It's September! You should already own the new Phantomsmasher(James Plotkin) and Dälek cds! This month grab the long awaited new Isis CD and the return of the Moist Boyz !!!
Our release schedule for 2002 will end with the legendary Ruins in October. What a year! Don't forget you can order these CDs in our DISCOGRAPHY section or support cool record stores around the world. Thank them for carrying Ipecac products!
2) Lot's happening on the road in the US. Toolahawk winds down. Tomahawk will NOT be doing the next leg of the TOOL tour. Gotta record the new disc! THANK YOU to our good friends, TOOL. The tour was a huge success! We sold a lot of CDs to those "terrible" TOOL fans. Check the CALENDAR section for tour dates for Skeleton Key, Moist Boyz, Phantomsmasher,Steroid Maximus (an amazing UCLA exclusive!) and dates by Isis and Dälek including a lot with both bands on the same bill!
3) go to ARCHIVES/SNEAK PREVIEWS for a sample of Isis and the Moist Boyz.
4) a few tickets for the Halloween extravaganza left. start planning your costume! we are starting to pull ideas together for New Years Eve at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco.
5) Will be adding some embroidered items to the STORE ...... someday.
6) Very sorry to everyone that missed Tomahawk in Hamilton,ON. Seems, some knucklehead printed the wrong time on the ticket. Send THEM your complaints.
7) It's football and soccer season around the world. Are you ready? The NBA is coming. Go A's!
8) Anyone else disappointed by Mario Sunshine? Fear not, the new Grand Theft Auto comes out in October!
9) 2003 is going to be an over the top year for Ipecac. Wait til you see what we are cooking up.
10) Happy Bithday Andy Couch !
ATTENTION Chicagoland Tomahawk fans. Turns out the Toolahawk show scheduled in Normal IL for Aug 27 has been cancelled. Instead join Tomahawk at the Empty Bottle in Chicago for a special show at 11pm !!!!! The band will go on after the Ken Vandermark 5.
Get the full intimate Thawk set!!!!! The Chicago Toolahawk show on the 29th will go on as scheduled.