This page will provide the latest official news from Ipecac Recordings. Please be sure to read through these articles before contacting Ipecac Recordings with a question that may be answered here.
Once in awhile the real world intervenes during our rock and roll fantasy. Due to the wildfires in Southern California, tomorrow night's Melvins show in San Diego has been cancelled. Please visit club or ticket outlet for refunds. Our thoughts are with everyone affected by the blazes.
Ipecac continues to creep into the mainstream. It's kind of cool!
First off, congrats to Brian Reitzell, David Slade and the cast and crew of "30 Days of Night", the number 1 movie in America over the opening weekend. The reviews are mixed, but that is because horror movies generally get bad reviews, but trust us, you will jump out of your seat several times, and the gore factor is off the charts. It is beautiful in a very dark way , oh and the music is amazing! If you are looking for a great horror background for a halloween party or just a soundtrack fan, pick up the original score by famed supervisor/scorer Brian Reitzell on Ipecac next week (on iTunes now).
And those Northern State gals continue to soar. The first 3 minutes of last weeks "Grey's Anatomy" tv show featured "Better Already" from Northern State's new CD "Can I Keep This Pen". Go go go!
More soon: 30 Days of Night soundtrack, the long awaited Imani Coppola album, the Queens of the Stone Age vinyl, the Kaada/Patton live DVD all coming in the next month and watch for tour dates from a bunch of our bands listed in calendar section.
It's that creepy time of year! Halloween nears. The movies get darker. We could not be prouder to be part of one of the coolest movies of the year. 30 DAYS OF NIGHT is not your typical vampire movie. It is the story of an Alaskan town that is plunged into 30 days of darkness only to be over run by vampires. But things are not so simple. It is incredibly well directed by David Slade who also directed the bizarre film HARD CANDY. This is a unique take on a popular genre.
Adding to the creepiness is the stunning score by Brian Reitzell. You may recognise his name as the music supervisor/score composer on STRANGER THAN FICTION, MARIE ANTOINETTE, THUMBSUCKER, FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, LOST IN TRANSLATION, VIRGIN SUICIDES, etc.. Brian asked us to release the soundtrack score, and trust me when I say it fits into the Ipecac collection perfectly! It is beautiful and haunting. You can get it at i-tunes on October 16th or look for it in stores the day before Halloween, Oct 30th. The movie comes out next Friday, Oct 19th in the US. You have probably seen the commercials and posters but nothing will prepare you. Thumbs up, for sure!
Hey, if you were watching the debut episode of the series CALIFORNICATION on Showtime channel and thought you heard Peeping Tom, you were right. "Mojo" has now been included on the CALIFORNICATION soundtracks for sale on iTunes as well.
Infiltrating mass media!
Team Ipecac mixing it up in Canada! Check it out. Northern State is on tour with Tegan and Sara and got invited to play live on MTV Canada! Looks like it isn't just the healthcare system and hockey that the Canadians do better.
It's Qui week at Ipecac HQ!!! Qui, the cheeky rock band from LA featuring longtime buddy David Yow (Scratch Acid, the Jesus Lizard) is stepping up!
- David, Paul & Matt are co-hosting Suicide Girls on Indie 103 this Sunday at 12 midnight (ok, I guess technically that's monday morning). They'll be talking about the new record, playing some of their favorite music, etc. They are on air from 12 midnight to 2 am. http://www.indie1031.fm/shows/suicidegirls.php
- Record release party at Cha Cha in LA, Monday 9/10 at 10pm.
The Cha Cha Lounge - 2375 Glendale Blvd. in Silverlake.
Fun and games and rock and roll!!!
- Official record release TUESDAY 9/11 QUI - "LOVE'S MIRACLE"
- US TOUR! starting 9/11
The circus has come to town! Mr. Pollard (Guided By Voices) and Tobias have teamed up to bring you the new release by the CIRCUS DEVILS titled "Sgt. Disco". We are proud to be working with such distinguished gents. The Circus Devils fit comfortably into out family of misfits. Check em out.
On 10/9/07 Bifocal Media will be releasing a new book of comic art by Brian Walsby (MANCHILD) packaged with the Melvins “Making Love Demos” CD.
For the past 20 Years Mr. Walsby has had his satirical comic doodles published in everything from Maximum Rocknroll and Chunklet to Hustler's “Barely Legal”. Brian has created album art for bands ranging from 7-Seconds to the Melvins. He's also found time to play drums for the likes of Polvo, Snake Nation, Ryan Adams, Double Negative and tons of other bands.
MANCHILD 3 includes the Melvins 2006 illustrated tour diary.
The Melvins “Making Love Demos” were recorded in 1987, dubbed for a few folks (Mr. Walsby included), and forgotten about...until now. The CD includes 8 unreleased tracks. Four of them were re-tooled and re-recorded for the Ozma record. Four of them exist only on this CD. Here's a few choice Quotes from Buzz regarding the Walsby/Melvins love affair:
“I don't even have a copy of these songs, how the hell did he get them? Did we give him permission for this?”
“Brian Walsby is brutal. His art Hilariously cuts to the honest bone leaving no prisoners. I've always been able to depend on Brian to tell me the no bullshit truth. This is refreshing in a mostly "fuck you" world.”
“This is a perfect home for these songs. The Melvins support Brian Walsby in every way legal and illegal.”
NORTHERN STATE'S "Can I Keep This Pen?" is out NOW!!!!! Check out their tour dates too!
Northern State fever is sweeping the world!
The new record "Can I Keep This Pen?" comes out Tuesday August 28th!
* The music video, directed by Sean Donnely, of the hit song "Better Already" makes it's world debut today at AOL's Spinner: http://www.spinner.com/
Check out this hip clip!
* Then the girls will be performing FOR FREE at the Virgin MegaStore in Union Square on Tuesday Aug. 28 (release day!!!) at 6:30 pm. come watch them play in a record store and sign copies of the record... if you buy a copy of the record that day you get a free CAN I KEEP THIS PEN? promotional pen. that's right, a FREE pen and a FREE show.
* Finally, for the full Northern State experience please join team Ipecac at the record release party/show at Luna Lounge in Williamsburg Brooklyn-Wednesday night Aug. 29th.it will be fun and will include the following things: costumes, Murray Hill MCing the event and hosting a dance contest , Palomar, Holy Hail, DJ Lindsey Pearl, never ending frivolity. And we think work is cancelled the next day to celebrate Northern State's brand new CD, "Can I Keep This Pen?"